Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing, Baby

Category: By Christian
Saving money is good. Stacy is a coupon clipper. When we shop at the grocery store, we tend to do a lot of comparing to ensure we get a good deal. As a result, we end up going generic on a number of items. It's always a bit of an adventure with the generics, because some perform better than others. Certain products will push you to find any discernible difference between generic and name brand, while others have an unbridgeable chasm of quality.

One generic I had never tried before is the knock off Coffeemate. I have certain rules about my coffee. The growers need to be paid a fair wage. Sustainable practice is what it's all about. I like my coffee dark, strong, sweet and with some type of creaming agent. Elli's whole milk works well in a pinch. Half and Half is nice. I'll rock the Mexican Table Cream when we have it in the fridge. I don't drink coffee churches put out for public consumption, because it's never good. And no coffee from fast food joints. I think that's it.

All that being said, I love me some Coffeemate. So good. My favs are French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Creme Brule, Vanilla Caramel and Chai Spice (a new addition to the list). I don't know what it is, but the stuff is like crack. Highly addictive and oh-so-ymmy.

Unfortunately, it's also a little spendy. $4 a bottle, or something like that. Thus, the $2 a bottle knock off was sooooo tempting to Stacy the last time she did the shopping. She was hesitant to mess with my mojo, but did so in the name of all things Dave Ramsey. I was a total good sport and decided to try it.

Boy, was that a mistake. The French Vanilla knock off was some rank stuff, man. I even tried it for 3 or 4 days. Blech. I don't even know how it could be so bad. I had my guesses. I checked the ingredient list. Poop and Eye of Newt were conspicuously absent. Hmmmm. So I picked up some of the good stuff at the store and compared the labels. Pretty much the exact same ingredients, and in the exact same order. Go figure. I don't know what the generic company did to the ratios, but they messed it up big time.

Do yourself a favor, and stick to the name brand.

Fair Dinkum
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Jennifer 10:44 AM
    Oh yes...all in the name of Dave Ramsey. We tell that to ourselves around here quite often! :)
  2. sara 7:05 PM
    "in the name of all things Dave Ramsey." HA

Something to say?