8 Good Minutes: Myron Rolle the Rhodes Scholar

By Christian
I don't watch a ton of Sportscenter anymore. They've gone light on the highlights packages and heavy on the talking heads. It's fine, because they put their highlights packages online, so you can get the stuff on demand. With the exception of PBS however, I don't find talking heads on TV all that appealing.

That doesn't mean I boycott Sportscenter. I still turn it on once in a while to see what's going on. On Saturday, the payoff was huge. Perhaps the best 8 minutes of TV I've watched in a long time. They did a story on Myron Rolle. Coming out of high school, he was one of the top football recruits in the country. Just a stud fooball player.

He had a good head on those studly shoulders. Such a good head that this year he not only started at safety for Florida State University, but he was also a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship. He wants to be a brain surgeon.

So carve out the time and watch the video. Even if you don't like sports, you won't be sorry.



I rode the bench for one season of Varsity High School basketball. I've had modest success in academia. Good grades and all, but Oxford certainly isn't banging down my door.

When I think about how much work went into my modest success, I'm amazed that Rolle could be such a high performer in both arenas. He's clearly the beneficiary of a gifting in both areas of life. But he's also undoubtedly worked harder and slept less than just about all of us.

Big ups to Myron Rolle. He did win the Rhodes Scholarship on Saturday. He flew straight to his football game. He got there at halftime. His team won.

I have a feeling I'll be rooting hard for Florida State these next few weeks.

Renew and Restore
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?