Covers

Category: By Christian
A lot of people bag on the cover. I agree that it is not as creative as penning an original song. However, there is still an art to the cover. For instance, while I do not consider Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, Whateverhiddiesnameisnow to be one of the greatest MC's of all time, I have to say that I enjoy the music he puts out. His reinterpretations of preexisting songs are always catchy and sometimes addictive.

I find covers to be even more intriguing when they go cross-genre. Taking songs from other styles and totally flipping them out. Remember that dance song "Word Up"? Well an obscure group by the name of Willis took it, slowed it down, and flipped it to the point where it is straight hot sizzle. Apparently you can even chacha waltz to it.

My current favorite cover comes from Mat Weddle of Obadiah Parker. He took Outkast's "Hey Ya", and went acoustic on it. Wow, wow, wow. You had better believe that I bought that from itunes in about 2 seconds.



Fair Dinkum
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Dori 9:06 AM
    ohmygosh...that song is tremendous...I downloaded in in 1 second!

Something to say?