Movie Reflection: Transformers

Category: By Christian
There are certain elements of film making that a movie must include if it is going to be considered a "great" film. It needs to have compelling dialogue. It needs to have a strong plot. It needs stout acting. A foreign language is known to help.

Pretty much none of those things were in Transformers. I take that back. The robots did speak some form of robotese. Other than that, all of the other elements were lacking. And you know what? I'm ok with that. I did not go to the theatre to have my emotions moved. I went to watch robots from outer space blow things up, and did they ever blow things up. To the max, dogg.

I can honestly say that this film surpassed my expectations of how good computer generated characters could look. These robots were off the hook. Granted, they moved so much that there were times that I was this close to getting overstimulated, but it was so totally worth it.

The other really impressive aspect of Transformers had to be the use of military vehicles. I read an article in a recent edition of Wired that mentioned how Michael Bay gets whatever he wants from the Pentagon because the DOD felt he did such a great job on Pearl Harbor. Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Anyway, I fully believe that the Pentagon has some kind of eternal indebtedness to Mr. Bay, because they let him use just about every sweet action piece of military equipment possible. It was pretty amazing.

In hindsight I only have two beefs with the movie. The first I will not mention because it would be a major plot spoiler, but if you ask me away from the blogsphere I'll get on my soap box. My public outcry is the fact that there was NO Transformers theme song. I have two words for you. Weak sauce. I really don't think it would have been too much to ask to get Linkin Park or The Gorillas to redo a little classic cartoon theme song action, tricked out for 2k7. This is a summer blockbuster film, after all. Perhaps one will surface on the internet and I can play it during the credits if I ever rent the film for viewing at home. We shall see.

Fair Dinkum
 

1 comment so far.

  1. adam paul 11:22 PM
    3 things:
    1. i think weaksauce is one word.
    2. gorillaz ends in a z.
    3. loved this flick.

Something to say?