Book Reflection: Grace (Eventually)

Category: By Christian
It has been a while since I had read any Anne Lamott. I never did read Plan B which says way more about the number of books on my "to read" list than it does about how I feel about her writing. It is honest, very entertaining and tends to be thought-provoking. I probably would not have pre-ordered this particular book (again, because of the list), but it came with two tickets to her author event so it seemed like a good book to pick up hot off the presses.

It might be a personal mis-perception, but Grace didn't feel like "typical" Lamott. It seemed a little more measured. More subtle. Still shocking, but perhaps on a different level and in a different way than other works.

The two most interesting essays in Grace are probably also the two most controversial. There is one where Lamott addresses her experience and paradigm on abortion and another where she does the same with assisted suicide. Perhaps the two most polarizing issues in our culture right now. Whereas some of Lamott's other writings are remembered for the shock value that a well-placed profanity will cause, this book stands out to me as being masterful in how it discusses these two issues.

Not that I have been converted to Lamott's paradigms. I think we would have a passionate but respectful discussion if we sat down to talk about either of the issues. But, her recounting of events and thoughts did cause me to step back and at least see how a person could accept her positions. Her specific mix of theological constructs, sociological constructs and life experience have led her to a particular place. I cannot go to that place with her right now, but I can see how she got there.

So now there are a couple of more reasons why my church won't be able to stock writings from this particular author. If I special order them from that particular establishment, I'll have to park in the back and slip the books into a small brown bag lest the eyes of my fellow congregants spy my reading habits. And yet, I'll keep reading her. She pushes me, she exposes me to a authentic monologue on faith that churches need to be tuned into if they are going to understand why they aren't very effective at communicating to people who aren't a part of our in group.

Oh. And she makes me laugh. Out loud.

Fair Dinkum
 

1 comment so far.

  1. NoVA Dad 5:28 PM
    I was recently introduced to Anne Lamott by a good friend of mine, and as I've started my journey through her writing I've been seeking out the comments and opinions of others who have read her work. I very much enjoyed your comments here, and have in fact enjoyed poking around your blog. If you don't mind, I'm going to link your blog to mine so that I can make repeat visits!

Something to say?