Summer, Is That You??

Category: By Christian
It was quite nice outside today when I left the house. It felt like summer. Warm, moist air. Sunshine. Kansas road crews everywhere I looked. But something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it dawned on me. It was like a light bulb went off in my head, except that it wasn't a light bulb and it wasn't in my head. It was the gas light on my dashboard that reminded me that summer-type days require one ritual act of consecration.

So I went out of my way after dropping Elli off at daycare and stopped at the nearest Quick Trip. As my car filled up with gas I made my way inside the station and with no hesitation made a beeline to the two items that were needed to complete the wonder of the day.

White Cherry Slush...Chicken Taquito.

I don't know what it is about the 2 for $2 taquito that makes me all hot and bothered. The fact that it spends the majority of its life frozen only to be rolled on a heating element next to an eggroll on a gas station counter for the better part of 4 hours before being devoured by yours truly? They are too salty to be any good for me. They probably aren't warmed to Food Services standards. They probably aren't even made out of real chicken. But baby, do they ever dance across my tongue with a grace and beauty that I find unparalleled in any other culinary delight. Delicious.

So summer isn't officially here. It's only March, after all. I'm not a total dufus. But today it sure did feel and taste like summer.

Fair Dinkum
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?