Brevity

Category: By Christian
The blog has been pretty heavy this week. It's probably the direct result of a focus in my life right now on contemplation, combined with reading binges. And yet, I'm still the same old goofy cat, as proved by various goings on in the life of CDoubleDizzle...

*For the first time in my life, I'm flossin' the 'rows. Cornrows, that is. It's where you get your hair tightly braided along your head. I need to get a picture of them up on the blog sometime soon, because since I got microbraids they aren't going to last very long. The look is all right. I don't absolutely love it, but I don't hate it either. It's fun to have once in a while.

*We're flying to Portland tonight. We were quite fortunate to not be going through Denver. Sometimes we do because Frontier has good deals every once in a while. Southwest is currently the carrier of choice though, because they have a non-stop to PDX. You get a little more picky about your flights when you have a 1-year-old traveling companion. We're hoping that Elli sleeps through the flight, because it takes off right at her bedtime.

*Stacy thinks we'll be a funny family as we walk through the airport. As she put it..."I'll be looking all 'Kansas', you'll be thugged out with your braids, and we'll have our little Asian child." I can see how such things would look humorous. We'd make a wonderful advertisement with our built-in diversity.

*I always wear white v-neck undershirts. Today is different however, because my undershirt would cost $70 had I actually paid for it. This guy I work with gets these types of things for free because his dad works at Nieman Marcus, and he graciously let me have one of the shirts. I must say that you would have to be absolutely off your donker to buy this shirt. Yes, it feels nice. I'd be willing to pay a little more than usual for it if it could prevent the yellow sweat-crust stains in the armpits that my shirts tend to get. However, $70 is far too much for a product like this. The most redonkulous part of the deal is that I have the jankey version of the undershirt. The "nice" version will run you $110. Plus tax, baby. To quote my wife again..."I always wondered how rich people spent their money. There is a whole level of spending in this world that is obviously unknown to me." I know that this entire story sounds completely implausible to most of you, so the links to those shirts are here and here.

*I found someone to accompany me to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. My friend Coleman has signed on board. We watched the 2006 Word Cup together this summer, though we had to do it at my house and various sports bars because we didn't plan ahead to make it to Germany. It would have been pretty inconvenient anyway, because we are both in grad school right now. Plus, I was getting ready for the trip to Vietnam. So, 2010 looks a lot better. Now we just have to figure out how to finance this venture. I figure I could try to save any Christmas and birthday money I get for the next four years. There will probably be a shortfall still, so I'll need some other funding mechanisms. You are welcome to give to the cause if you like. I even have a Paypal account so that you can give from the privacy of your own home. I need to warn you that we are not registered as a non-profit, though. It would be nice if you could get a tax break, but (unlike some people ) I cannot ethically take advantage of the system. I can also not guarantee that God will bless you if you give to our cause, even though many preachers have no qualms about making such an oath. There was a time a couple of years ago where I hit a lucky streak, so maybe I'll try for one of those again. In the matter of 18-months, I managed to: win 2 round-trip plane tickets on a sportstalk show by breaking down a KU basketball game, win Royals tickets, earn a spot in the Jim Rome smackoff, win a kickin' sound system, and appear on a nationally syndicated game show. Not too shabby. I gotta get back in the groove.

Fair Dinkum
 

1 comment so far.

  1. adam paul 11:18 PM
    thanks for using the phrase "off your donker."

    i smiled.

Something to say?